All about Tubes, Tube Circuits, Tube Gear

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Early Days

My first soldering iron:

Click the image to open in full size.

My dad bought it for me.

I must have built about 30 Radio-Shack projects using 741 op amps that never worked,
never suspecting that I was frying the chips with the 150 watt gun.

Eventually I learned that less is more with soldering irons.

How many fixable repairs did I destroy trying to do them with the wrong tools and no dexterity skills?
All I know is that there must be a long trail of disappointed customers who let me experiment with their stuff,
while I was on my learning-curve...

Eventually I began to successfully repair items occasionally,
then with moderate success.

Do you remember your first speaker re-cone?

Click the image to open in full size.

No comments:

Post a Comment