All about Tubes, Tube Circuits, Tube Gear

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ultralinear Guitar Amp (7): Chassis Setup

because they are hanging upside down.

First these ones, which grip the base:

Click the image to open in full size.

Then these ones, to hold those babies in regardless of roady mishaps.

Click the image to open in full size.

I know: You're saying, "Why both?"

Because I don't trust either method.

Of course this brings to mind the train scene in Once Upon a Time in the West.

Frank: "How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants. "


My only misgivings are the potential for shorts/arcing from metal retainer to topcap clip/plate (with 6BG6As).
I may have to use an additional silicon (for heat resistance) insulating ring with a ridge.

Okay, starting to get down to business:

I have stripped the original Fender Transistor Twin chassis,
and spent a week toying with the idea of taking it to a school shop,
and using their bender to fix it up.
Then I just spent ten minutes with a 2x4 and my body weight,
bending it myself on the floor. Not bad.
Now the chassis platform is horizontal,
and the front piece bent at an appropriate angle.
I have yet to saw the over-tall back piece off and re-bolt it,
so that the top-screw lugs line up with the holes in the cabinet.


On the left (chassis) is the Boldec 100 watt Ultralinear transformer.
The bells were painted white and fired for coolness (wasted now inside Fender cab).
On the right (chassis) is the HV tranny and the giant (10 H?) choke (bigger than tranny!).
I got this choke I think from Antique Audio 20 years ago as army surplus.


But I thought the only way to get the son started (and off videogames),
was to dump it on his bench, and make a lot of noise.

I built a bench for him under his bed-loft, (see pic),
to encourage him to learn some electronics before his dad goes senile.



He inherits a lot of cool bits, like that classic EICO oscilloscope,
and custom test-jigs for tube circuits (see upper left).

Some might recognize the ancient Heathkit tone-generator at top right,
and the quickly obsceletized "Distortion Meter" beside it (heh heh).

No comments:

Post a Comment